"American democracy is at risk because civic education has been downplayed amid a decade’s-long push for more testing and accountability in reading, math, and science."
National Association of State Boards of Education
Constitution Day Event
The Constitution Day event, on 9/16 at Fresno State, engaged over 200 people in civil dialogue about the First Amendment and American values. See this Education Matters segment.
Civic Service Summit
In the park-like setting of Scout Island Outdoor Education Center, 6 teams of 10 students struggled with leadership challenges that seemed impossible. They had to work together, communicate clearly, resolve conflicts and implement potential solutions, learning from their mistakes. These experiences give student leaders confidence to address real problems in their community.
Fresno City Youth Commission
Sixteen youth leaders in high school and college were sworn in asmembers of the City of Fresno’s Youth Commission. The Youth Commissioners were selected and appointed for a two-year term by Mayor Ashley Swearengin and each of the seven Fresno City Council members. They are facilitated by the Youth Leadership Institute and will identify issues that face youth in Fresno. They will represent youth in their districts and propose policy resolutions for the City Council.
We have multiple partners you can connect with if you are looking for the opportunity to volunteer.
Coming soon, ways to learn and practice leadership skills.
We encourage you to contact John Minkler with your ideas. Here are ideas for student projects:
- Community Safety
- Water conservation and storage, policies for sustainability
- Voter registration and participation
- Opportunities for Entrepreneurship
- Education reform
- Healthy food in schools; school gardens
- Access to safe parks in low income neighborhoods
- Elder Abuse
- Animal rights
- Farmworker Rights
- Health Care
- STDs and AIDS
- Individuals with Disabilities
- Cultural understanding and rights
- Juvenile Justice
- Career preparation and job creation
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Issues
- Media and Children
- Mental Illness
- Military Service Members, Veterans, and their families
- Police Accountability
- Poverty; hunger, unemployment, health
- Prisoner Rights
- Public Health
- Racial or Ethnic Discrimination
- Substance Abuse and Prevention
- Trauma, Violence and Abuse
- Women’s Issues (reproductive health, prevention of violence and abuse, and equality)